SHORT ADVANCED PROGRAMME
Engineering Applications in Python
8 March 2023
Jointly coordinated by the Polytechnic of Leiria and the Technological University of the Shannon (TUS), the RUN-EU Short Advanced Programme (SAP) Engineering Applications in Python aims to introduce programming to ungraduated students with little or no previous knowledge of a programming language and is oriented to engineering applications.
Python programming language (https://www.python.org/), which is an object-oriented, high-level programming language with dynamic semantics, will be used. It is open-source and available for all major platforms and is being used by a large and supportive community of users.
Since Python supports modules and packages, programme modularity and code reuse are encouraged. Contributors have made many Python modules and packages available, expanding Python capabilities and applications.
Python is very popular also due to its versatility (it can be used for many different tasks in a great variety of applications) and it is easy to learn syntax (it has a simple syntax similar to the natural language).
Students should have some prior knowledge of working with a computer, editing files, and downloading and installing software.
From 17 April to 7 July 2023
From 3 to 7 July at the Polytechnic of Leiria (Portugal)
Mode of delivery
Language of instruction
To be defined by each home higher education institution.
Generally, most students will have this SAP certified in their diploma supplement, as a minimal condition
All RUN-EU undergraduate students.
At the end of this Short Advanced Programme, students will be able to:
- Develop abstract thinking skills and acquire fundamental concepts associated with programming language.
- Learn the basic steps of developing a programme as a solution to a problem.
- Design and analyse algorithms for problem-solving.
- Understand the principles of structured programming.
- Understand the elementary concepts of Python programming language.
- Analyse and interpret programs coded in Python programming language.
- Develop programmes using the Python programming language.
- Understand the structure and organisation of structured data and use the most appropriate data structures when solving a problem.
- Develop applications following the fundamentals and best practices of structured programming.
How to apply
Fill in the application form
Deadline for applications
24 March 2023
Students will be selected based on the fulfilment of requirements, CV and information provided in a video and/or in a motivation letter.
A maximum of 5 places will be reserved for each of the two host institutions (IPL/ESTG and TUS) and a maximum of 3 places will be reserved for each of the five RUN-EU members.
The total number of students to be selected is 25.
Selection will always be based on requirements and submitted applications concerning motivation.
The selection team will also take steps toward ensuring diversity and representativity.
Polytechnic of Leiria, Portugal
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any further questions.