SHORT ADVANCED PROGRAMME
Engineering Applications in Python – 2nd Edition
21 June 2023
Jointly coordinated by the Polytechnic of Leiria and the Technological University of the Shannon (TUS), the RUN-EU Short Advanced Programme (SAP) ‘Engineering Applications in Python’ – 2nd Edition aims to introduce programming to undergraduate and postgraduate students with some knowledge of a programming language and is oriented to engineering applications.
Python programming language (https://www.python.org/), which is an object-oriented, high-level programming language with dynamic semantics, will be used. It is open-source and available for all major platforms and is being used by a large and supportive community of users.
Since Python supports modules and packages, programme modularity and code reuse are encouraged. Contributors have made many Python modules and packages available, expanding Python capabilities and applications.
Python is very popular also due to its versatility (it can be used for many different tasks in a great variety of applications) and it is easy to learn syntax (it has a simple syntax similar to the natural language).
Students should have some prior knowledge of working with a computer, editing files, and downloading and installing software.
From 13 September to 27 October 2023
From 23 to 27 October at the Polytechnic of Leiria (Portugal)
Mode of delivery
Language of instruction
To be defined by each home higher education institution.
Generally, most students will have this SAP certified in their diploma supplement, as a minimal condition
All RUN-EU undergraduate and postgraduate students.
At the end of this Short Advanced Programme, students will be able to:
- Develop abstract thinking skills and acquire fundamental concepts associated with programming language.
- Learn the basic steps of developing a programme as a solution to a problem.
- Design and analyse algorithms for problem-solving.
- Understand the principles of structured programming.
- Understand the elementary concepts of Python programming language.
- Analyse and interpret programmes coded in Python programming language.
- Develop programmes using the Python programming language.
- Understand the structure and organisation of structured data and use the most appropriate data structures when solving a problem.
- Develop applications following the fundamentals and best practices of structured programming.
How to apply
Fill in the application form
Deadline for applications
12 July 2023
Background, motivation, wide representation of subject areas/ﬁelds and balanced participation of RUN-EU member institutions
A maximum of 20 students will be selected for this programme
The selection team will also take steps towards ensuring a diverse and representative group of students.