SHORT ADVANCED PROGRAMME
Simulating Complex Realities with Serious Gaming
12 October 2022
The purpose of this SAP is to introduce students to a design-based research approach to the development of serious games for dealing with complex issues of change and sustainability.
The focus will be on the questions:
- how to develop serious games for learning and research sustainability issues?
- how to ensure that serious games deliver the expected value to the stakeholders involved?
Students will take part in online and on-location presentations, workshops, and multidisciplinary team assignments and cooperation. On-location activities assume short-term international mobility.
From 21 November to 16 December 2022
From 12 to 16 December 2022 at the NHL Stenden (Leeuwarden, The Netherlands)
Mode of delivery
Language of instruction
3 ECTS credits (75 hours)
To be defined by each higher education institution.
Generally, most students will have this RUN-EU SAP certified in their diploma supplement, as a minimal condition
All RUN-EU degree students
Proposed learning outcomes
At the end of this Short Advanced Programme, you will:
- analyse the context of the need for change and build an understanding of a specific problem or opportunity that needs to be acted upon.
- determine how a serious gaming intervention can contribute to the realisation of related knowledge transfer or knowledge creation objectives.
- define a specific value to be delivered by the serious gaming intervention and the risks involved in delivering the expected value.
- define design requirements and develop a model of reality that would lead to the serious gaming design, development, and implementation process.
- prototype, evaluate, and modify a serious gaming intervention following a structured, iterative, and highly interactive design process.
- facilitate the implementation of the serious gaming intervention, reflection on its outcomes, and translation of insights into real-life action.
How to apply
Fill in the application form
Deadline for applications
4 November 2022
Motivation, learning objectives and a wide representation of subject areas/fields and balanced participation of RUN-EU member institutions.
Total number of students to be selected